The Liaison Aircraft Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Liaison Aircraft Forum

Discuss liaison and observation aircraft, pilots, squadrons, restorations, and events.

HomeHome  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Parts Needed

Go down 
+2
me109me109
tony hoskins
6 posters
AuthorMessage
tony hoskins
Sergeant Pilot
Sergeant Pilot

Parts Needed Empty
PostSubject: Parts Needed   Parts Needed EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 5:42 am

I need the following parts for my 1944 Piper L4H restoration to airworthy stock condition:

Straight backed Rudder
RH Scott master brake cylinder
Throttle cable
Carb Heat Cable
Black faced ASI
Old style compass card holder
Map case (or plans for it)
Rear kickplate curtain
Black faced non linear Antenna amperes gauge for an RCA AVT15
RCA AVA120 Trailing antenna, mast and drogue

Any leads or offers please contact me at

tony@planeheritage.com
Back to top Go down
me109me109
Sergeant Pilot
Sergeant Pilot

Parts Needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parts Needed   Parts Needed EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 1:36 am

Are you looking for original WWII era manufactured parts? If not WagAero should have the stuff like the throttle and carb cables, etc. Also, what part number map case did it have? Keep a look out on eBay for all of these if you havent been already... Good Luck!
Taylor
Back to top Go down
tony hoskins
Sergeant Pilot
Sergeant Pilot

Parts Needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parts Needed   Parts Needed EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 8:23 am

Yes, idealy servicable original parts, I have had to get some Univair parts, and will have to get some more. More particular parts to the L4 I have to make, such as some of the parts listed below - with drawing numbers:

84241 - Trailing Antenna Mounting Plate
50562 - Map Case (consists of 50572 + 50582)

I'm just finishing off all the parts for the rear seat, all of which I've had to research and make from scratch.

Getting really worried though that I'm not going to find my trailing antenna - been looking 2 years and the only one I found was far far too much money!

Rgds

T
Back to top Go down
Sentinel
Sergeant Pilot
Sergeant Pilot
Sentinel

Parts Needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parts Needed   Parts Needed EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 3:43 pm

Have 2 used rudders, not sure what you mean by straight backed but these are original J-3/L-4 rudders.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nightingaleimages.com
tony hoskins
Sergeant Pilot
Sergeant Pilot

Parts Needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parts Needed   Parts Needed EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 5:37 am

Excellent - I'll will talk to you of thread about that. I often get offered the later Pa11/ 12 rudders which have a curved back to them.

I now have the following to add to the list, as the chap I was dealing with was mistaken as to the identity of the parts he had:

1x Elevator
1x Left Aileron
1x Right Aileron
As many of the early built up section ribs and D ribs as possible - will give exact numbers when I've finished rebuilding the ones I have.

Rgds

Tony
Back to top Go down
The Col.
Sergeant Pilot
Sergeant Pilot
The Col.

Parts Needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parts Needed   Parts Needed EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 8:38 am

Hi Tony,

Have you contacted John(Forgotten Fields on Wixs) he has quite allot of L-Bird stuff and might be able to help you.

As for the map case I recall that someone was making new one using the plans.
Back to top Go down
tony hoskins
Sergeant Pilot
Sergeant Pilot

Parts Needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parts Needed   Parts Needed EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 12:09 pm

Yes Dick Hall makes new map cases, I'm thinking I might have to get him to do me one (as he keeps the plans quite close to his heart). I have the facilities to make one here - I thought I'd try here to see if anyone had the plans but I think in the name of progress I may have to bite the bullet!

I wasn't aware of the chap on Wixs - I don't frequent that site very often - I will expedite a visit there shortly...

Rgds

Tony
Back to top Go down
paul smith
Sergeant Pilot
Sergeant Pilot

Parts Needed Empty
PostSubject: antenna parts   Parts Needed EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 12:09 pm

Tony, are you sure you want to put the antenna and mast on your H model? I know we've been over this before on the other site, but from the photos I've seen, the only airplanes to leave that stuff on there were AAF birds. Yours, like mine, was an AGF airplane and they took all that stuff off trying to save weight. They came from Lock Haven with that extra gear in place, but the H models in the artillery didn't fly with it as a rule. IMO the most you should have is the mounting holes.

It was possible to use the AVR and AVT radios with the trailing antenna, but it was not the best antenna for that radio, and there is plenty of evidence to show that the antenna most often used with the BC-659A and B artillery radios was the AN-29C telescoping antenna. The rest of that stuff is not shown in the photos.

Paul
Back to top Go down
tony hoskins
Sergeant Pilot
Sergeant Pilot

Parts Needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parts Needed   Parts Needed EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 4:00 pm

Hi Paul

Yeah what you say is correct, as you know though my cub was used by a French outfit fighting alongside the 5th US Army in 44. A chap on a military history forum in Europe was kind enough to supply me with 3 photos of these cubs (which one is mine I do not know). One of them seems to show a cub fitted with an AVA120 antenna (but also an SCR kit like yours).

I've tried to upload the picture with this mail - not sure how successful it has been. Now luckily I found an AVT-15 in a box of bits here in the UK, I'm being chased by museums here in the UK who have long been looking for examples - however I feel its best to preserve it in the type of aircraft it was designed for. Plus its the general opinion of several "experts" that the French probably used whatever equipment the Americans would let them have and that out-of-date equipment was probably high on that list.

Just my thoughts...

Rgds

Tony

Ps - how are you finding your cub now that it has reached the end of its long rebuild - I'm having a huge surge of work on mine currently - trying to get things done in our current period of "inclemant" weather....
Back to top Go down
tony hoskins
Sergeant Pilot
Sergeant Pilot

Parts Needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parts Needed   Parts Needed EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 5:29 pm

Can I just mention the incrediable help offered by Ken Wakefield here in England in that he has managed to find me a pristine example of a map case here in the UK.

It should arrive in the next couple of days - will report back when I've had a chance to install it during next week! :-)

Rgds

T
Back to top Go down
paul smith
Sergeant Pilot
Sergeant Pilot

Parts Needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parts Needed   Parts Needed EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 9:41 pm

Hi Tony,

It flies reasonably well. I have some tweaking to do on the rigging, it wants to roll to the right when I let go the stick. Also, I think I have a cylinder going south. I have great compression and oil pressure, but I'm blowing 2 qts of oil out the breather every hour. C-90s are notorious for that but this is ridiculous. Check the gas and fill the oil?

With the 90, I am at 1000 feet at the end of a 5300 ft runway. It's amazing.

Paul
Back to top Go down
mafiafran
Sergeant Pilot
Sergeant Pilot

Parts Needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parts Needed   Parts Needed EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 12:32 am

not sure what you mean by straight backed but these are original J-3/L-4 rudders.

washing line
LED Lighting
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Parts Needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parts Needed   Parts Needed Empty

Back to top Go down

Parts Needed
Page 1 of 1