The Liaison Aircraft Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Liaison Aircraft Forum

Discuss liaison and observation aircraft, pilots, squadrons, restorations, and events.

HomeHome  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Auster Force - Middle Wallop 2009

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rob
Sergeant Pilot
Sergeant Pilot
Rob

Auster Force - Middle Wallop 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Auster Force - Middle Wallop 2009   Auster Force - Middle Wallop 2009 EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 12:31 pm

Here's the photographs of the WW2 Austers at the mass Auster fly-in at Middle Wallop this weekend to coincide with the annual 656 Squadron reunion. I managed to achieve my ambition in flying all of the UK's Auster III's - all three of them! Great claim to fame and what better way to spend my 21st Birthday weekend
Auster Force - Middle Wallop 2009 W1-1
Descending to land at Middle Wallop on the Saturday in an Auster III that landed in Normandy two days after D day
Auster Force - Middle Wallop 2009 W2-1
Back view of the same Auster showing the large glazed area which made them so well suited to air observation
Auster Force - Middle Wallop 2009 A9-23
Auster Force - Middle Wallop 2009 A8-28
Here it is on the left with two post-war military Austers
Auster Force - Middle Wallop 2009 A7-31
Auster V, showing the snub-nosed look of Austers fitted with the Lycoming O-290
Auster Force - Middle Wallop 2009 A1-34
My favourite - Auster III MT438, which served in Burma during WW2 with 656 Squadron
Auster Force - Middle Wallop 2009 W4
Auster IV MT197, which also landed in Normandy two days after D day, serving with 662 Squadron after joining them in March 1944. In 1945 it suffered major battle damage, but has been restored and is still airworthy
Auster Force - Middle Wallop 2009 W3
Auster V
Auster Force - Middle Wallop 2009 A4-32
Auster III MT438 and a Westland Scout of the Army Air Corps Historic Flight
Auster Force - Middle Wallop 2009 A5-32
Austers - faaaaasands of 'em!
Auster Force - Middle Wallop 2009 A6-31
My favourite photo of the weekend - me and Ted Maslen-Jones, who flew with 656 Squadron in Burma during the Second World War, and today was the first time he'd been in an Auster since the end of the war. Of course, we got him in the Burma Auster, and was a great pleasure to meet him, a very entertaining and interesting gentleman.
Auster Force - Middle Wallop 2009 B7-12
The third Auster III, a recently completed restoration
Auster Force - Middle Wallop 2009 C1-4
Coming in to land in the above Auster
Auster Force - Middle Wallop 2009 B2-14
Civilianised Auster V, built in 1944 with the military serial number RT475, but now with a de Havilland engine (would have originally had the snub nosed Lycoming) and shorter civilian rear glazing
Auster Force - Middle Wallop 2009 B9-6
Another Auster IV or V hiding away
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roblangham

Auster Force - Middle Wallop 2009
Page 1 of 1