The Liaison Aircraft Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Liaison Aircraft Forum

Discuss liaison and observation aircraft, pilots, squadrons, restorations, and events.

HomeHome  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

159th Liaison Squadron?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
RyanShort1
Admin from www.lbirds.com
RyanShort1

159th Liaison Squadron? Empty
PostSubject: 159th Liaison Squadron?   159th Liaison Squadron? EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 11:50 pm

Does anyone here have information, or know anyone from the 159th Liaison Squadron? I think that they operated L-5s in the Philippines...

Ryan
Back to top Go down
http://www.lbirds.com
Sentinel Club
www.sentinelclub.org
www.sentinelclub.org

PostSubject: 159th Liaison Squadron   159th Liaison Squadron? EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 4:31 pm

Ryan,

This is the first time I've logged on to this forum this month. In reply to your question about the 159th you should know that aside from the L-5 book I'm working on, I have been gathering material for a book on all the U.S. liaison squadrons of WWII for many years. When it comes to information about these outfits there probably isn't anyone else on the planet with more expertise or resources at hand on this subject. I generally don't beat my own drum very much or very loudly but I'd be very surprised if I'm not correct in this assumption. Perhaps you just didn't want to bother me knowing how much is on my plate at any given moment, but next time just drop me a line if you (or anyone else on this forum) needs such information.

Anyway, the 159th was part of the 3rd Air Commando Group that also included the 157th and 160th Liaison Squadrons. The 159th arrived in the Philippines in December 1944, at Leyte, and began flying missions in January '45. From there, detachments eventually operated on Luzon, Negros and Cebu and a few other islands. They were involved in everything from courier flights to medevac to directing fighter-bomber strikes, to air dropping supplies and even small groups of para-commandos. In August 1945, the 159th repositioned to Okinawa, the longest overwater flight ever undertaken by liaison aircraft. The L-5's, all ambulance models at that time, carried 75 gallon drop tanks in the litter compartment for additional fuel to make the 7 hour, 720 mile trip. The squadron was involved in the occupation of the Japanese mainland from Sept. 1945 through May 1946. They also earned a Presidential Unit Citation for their wartime work.

Aside from what little can be found on the web about the 159th (heres an excellent link: http://www.specialoperations.net/3rdACGHistory.htm ) I have a copy of the official squadron history plus about 400 historical documents from Maxwell AFB and quite a few photos of their aircraft. Let me know what else you'd like to know.

Jim Gray
www.sentinelclub.org
Sentinel Owners and Pilots Association
Back to top Go down
http://www.sentinelclub.org
RyanShort1
RyanShort1

PostSubject: Re: 159th Liaison Squadron?   159th Liaison Squadron? EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 10:26 am

Sentinel Club wrote:
Perhaps you just didn't want to bother me knowing how much is on my plate at any given moment, but next time just drop me a line if you (or anyone else on this forum) needs such information.

Jim,

No offence intended! I figured you were busy, should've known better. I met a guy from New York or Pennsylvania (the day before I posted this) who was a mechanic for them.
Also, sometimes I duplicate requests - in case others have information as well.
I'm sending you an email.

Ryan
Back to top Go down
http://www.lbirds.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 159th Liaison Squadron?   159th Liaison Squadron? Empty

Back to top Go down

159th Liaison Squadron?
Page 1 of 1