The Liaison Aircraft Forum

Discuss liaison and observation aircraft, pilots, squadrons, restorations, and events.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

L-2M "Big Engine" Upgrade Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
L2Driver
Sergeant Pilot
Sergeant Pilot

PostSubject: L-2M "Big Engine" Upgrade Question   Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:19 pm

While I have no plans to change from my A-65, I am curious to hear about the trade-offs of going with a bigger engine in the L-2. My A-65 does okay with just me aboard and still manages about 400fpm climb with two crew.

My plane has had both the 75 and 85hp engines during its lifetime but only the 65 during my ownership. Certainly not a spritely performer but it manages just fine for putting around the local area.

I'm curious about what's left for payload after installing 90/100hp engines with electrical systems? Also range? Are you left with a single-seater good for about 90 minutes of flying?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RyanShort1
Admin from www.lbirds.com
Admin from www.lbirds.com

PostSubject: Re: L-2M "Big Engine" Upgrade Question   Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:58 pm

The range is the biggest issue I have. We now have an O-200 in front of N87787 down at Cannon, and it's too thirsty for my liking. It's very range limited.

Ryan
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.lbirds.com

L-2M "Big Engine" Upgrade Question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1